4.30.2008

Sanctuary Tonight

As always, we had a great sanctuary together. I wanted to point out two things that really stuck out to me.

1. Emily shared this amazing analogy that I know that I am going to butcher as I try to put it down in written form. She said that she had always felt that her spiritual journey in other faith communities had been like a small, pre-potted seed that only had a small space to grow into, and that would only ever become one type of plant. When she found Missiongathering, she said that she had found her "meadow" in which she could grow into herself and where the soil was rich. Where she could "hide out" if need be, or shine in the light of the sun. I just think this is a beautiful and brilliant analogy.



2. We were talking about why people are so attracted to churches that constantly make people feel guilty. I think the core reason is that people (especially in Western culture) get accustomed to a God that is only found in guilt. That we feel closest to God in our sin because it reminds us that we are in need of grace. It can almost become a ritual like practice to be told how terrible we are and how disappointed God is in us. Although I agree that we all need grace, and that it is good to be reminded of that... I think that God meets us in much more than just our guilt and that God sent Jesus Christ to no longer make us live in the shadow of our guilt and judgement... but instead to embrace grace and walk daily in that grace.

3 comments:

Curtis Piatt said...

good recap, jay, but you forgot my favorite part of what emily said, which is in a meadow you are surrounded by plants that are different from you and that's okay.

Anonymous said...

i'm well. funny you should contact me...i was thinking about coming to misson gathering this weekend. it came highly recommended. would love to meet you.

jay said...

I would love to meet you as well. Hopefully Ill see you Sunday?