10.18.2007

We Own The Night

Joaquin Phoenix, Marky Mark, Eva Mendes and Robert Duvall. Definitely not what I expected this movie to be at all. I went into the movie last night with a few friends thinking that it was going to be an action packed battle between two brothers who found themselves on opposite sides of the "law." Instead, what I got was a great period piece that told a deep story of transformation for a family who was controlled by "the law." I think I am still figuring out what I "got" out of the movie, but I can honestly say that I really enjoyed it. The storytelling was done really well and led me down a path of discovery that was deeply invested in the characters in the story.

I still cant get over Joaquin Pheonix though. I just wanted him, in the middle of the movie, to break out into just the chorus of "Ring of Fire." If there was a disappointment.. that was it.

No comments: